- Release date: 7/14/2015
- Developer: Freehold Games
- Publisher: Freehold Games
- Genre: Adventure , Indie , RPG , Strategy , Early Access
- Languages: English
- Features: Single-player, Steam Achievements, Steam Workshop, Steam Leaderboards, Includes level editor
- Requirements: View details
Caves of Qud description
Unfortunately, professional review of the Caves of Qud game is not yet ready. This game is on the list and will be reviewed in the nearest feature. Meanwhile, you can find more from the official description below.
View all reviews
If you have something to say about this game and make own review – write us. We are looking for talented game critics!
Become a critic
Who are you?
Play the role of a mutant indigenous to the salt-spangled dunes and jungles of Qud, or play a pure-strain descendant from one of the few remaining eco-domesthe toxic arboreta of Ekuemekiyye, the Holy City; the ice-sheathed arcology of Ibul; or the crustal mortars of Yawningmoon.
You arrive at the oasis-hamlet of Joppa, along the far rim of Moghra’yi, the Great Salt Desert. All around you, moisture farmers tend to groves of viridian watervine. There are huts wrought from rock salt and brinestalk. On the horizon, Qud’s jungles strangle chrome steeples and rusted archways to the earth. Further and beyond, the fabled Spindle rises above the fray and pierces the cloud-ribboned sky.
You clutch your rifle, or your vibroblade, or your tattered scroll, or your poisonous stinger, or your hypnotized goat. You approach a watervine farmerhe lifts the brim of his straw hat and says, "Live and drink, friend."
What can you do?
Anything and everything. Caves of Qud is a deeply simulated, biologically diverse, richly cultured world.
- Assemble your character from over 70 mutations and defects and 24 castes and kitsoutfit yourself with wings, two heads, quills, four arms, flaming hands, or the power to clone yourselfit’s all the character diversity you could want.
- Explore procedurally-generated regions with some familiar locationseach world is nearly 1 million maps large.
- Dig through everythingdon’t like the wall blocking your way? Dig through it with a pickaxe, or eat through it with your corrosive gas mutation, or melt it to lava. Yes, every wall has a melting point.
- Hack the limbs off monstersevery monster and NPC is as fully simulated as the player. That means they have levels, skills, equipment, faction allegiances, and body parts. So if you have a mutation that lets you, say, psionically dominate a spider, you can traipse through the world as a spider, laying webs and eating things.
- Pursue allegiances with over 60 factionsapes, crabs, robots, and highly entropic beingsjust to name a few.
- Follow the plot to Barathrum the Old, a sentient cave bear who leads a sect of tinkers intent on restoring technological splendor to Qud.
- Learn the lorethere’s a story in every nook, from legendary items with storied pasts to in-game history books written by plant historians.
- DieCaves of Qud is brutally difficult and deaths are permanent. Don’t worry, thoughyou can always roll a new character.